excluding folder to sync to client.

Rickard Welin
Hi,
I was wondering if there is a way to exclude a folder from being downloaded to my Mac due to limited local disk space.

Thanks,
Rickard

Re: excluding folder to sync to client.

Robert Sander
On 14.03.2013 08:41, Rickard Welin wrote:

> I was wondering if there is a way to exclude a folder from being downloaded to my Mac due to limited local disk space.

This is something that needs to be addressed with high priority.

When we have ownCloud serving content for hundreds of users and they
share directories to each other one user may be able to access 100s of
GB of ownCloud files.

The sync client will happily download them all to the user's local disk
and then?

The sync client needs a kind of hierarchical storage management, where
files that are accessed less frequently are not stored on the local disk.

A first start would be to be able to exclude directories from syncing,
but that may not fit all use cases.

Regards
--
Robert Sander
--

http://www.heinlein-support.de

Tel: 030 / 405051-43
Fax: 030 / 405051-19

Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG:
HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg,

Re: excluding folder to sync to client.

Klaas Freitag-3
On 14.03.2013 09:03, Robert Sander wrote:

> On 14.03.2013 08:41, Rickard Welin wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if there is a way to exclude a folder from being downloaded to my Mac due to limited local disk space.
>
> This is something that needs to be addressed with high priority.
>
> When we have ownCloud serving content for hundreds of users and they
> share directories to each other one user may be able to access 100s of
> GB of ownCloud files.
>
> The sync client will happily download them all to the user's local disk
> and then?
>
> The sync client needs a kind of hierarchical storage management, where
> files that are accessed less frequently are not stored on the local disk.
You need to specify that more detailed. That sounds to me like "we want
to sync data, but not so much". By now, sync means repo A == repo B so
that is kind of different.

Klaas

On 14.03.2013 10:10, Klaas Freitag wrote:

>> The sync client needs a kind of hierarchical storage management, where
>> files that are accessed less frequently are not stored on the local disk.
> You need to specify that more detailed. That sounds to me like "we want
> to sync data, but not so much". By now, sync means repo A == repo B so
> that is kind of different.

What happens when repo B (the local disk) is not as big as repo A (the
server)?
Owncloud needs a strategy for that.

One strategy could be that the user is able to manually deselect
directories from syncing.

Another strategy could be to automatically sync only recently used
files. This would mean to have a kind of "stub files" or a virtual
filesystem presenting all files and syncing on demand.

Regards
--
Robert Sander
--
Treffen Sie uns auf den Chemnitzer Linux-Tagen
vom 16. bis 17. März 2013!
--
Heinlein Support GmbH
Schwedter Str. 8/9b, 10119 Berlin

http://www.heinlein-support.de

Tel: 030 / 405051-43
Fax: 030 / 405051-19

Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG:
HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg,

Re: excluding folder to sync to client.

Jan-Christoph Borchardt-4
There are plans for selective sync from server (being able to manually deselect folders to be synced to the client) as described on https://github.com/owncloud/mirall/wiki/Desktop-client-next-steps (step 5/6)

Currently it's a bit down in the priority list though because we need to get some basic stuff done first.
Robert, would you like to contribute and work on that?

El jueves, 14 de marzo de 2013, Robert Sander escribió:
On 14.03.2013 10:10, Klaas Freitag wrote:

>> The sync client needs a kind of hierarchical storage management, where
>> files that are accessed less frequently are not stored on the local disk.
> You need to specify that more detailed. That sounds to me like "we want
> to sync data, but not so much". By now, sync means repo A == repo B so
> that is kind of different.

What happens when repo B (the local disk) is not as big as repo A (the
server)?
Owncloud needs a strategy for that.

One strategy could be that the user is able to manually deselect
directories from syncing.

Another strategy could be to automatically sync only recently used
files. This would mean to have a kind of "stub files" or a virtual
filesystem presenting all files and syncing on demand.

Regards
--
Robert Sander
--
Treffen Sie uns auf den Chemnitzer Linux-Tagen
vom 16. bis 17. März 2013!
--
Heinlein Support GmbH
Schwedter Str. 8/9b, 10119 Berlin

http://www.heinlein-support.de

Tel: 030 / 405051-43
Fax: 030 / 405051-19

Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG:
HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg,

Re: excluding folder to sync to client.

Sergi Almacellas Abellana

Re: excluding folder to sync to client.

LievenPauwels
Klaas Freitag-3 wrote
On 14.03.2013 09:03, Robert Sander wrote:
> On 14.03.2013 08:41, Rickard Welin wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if there is a way to exclude a folder from being downloaded to my Mac due to limited local disk space.

You need to specify that more detailed. That sounds to me like "we want
to sync data, but not so much". By now, sync means repo A == repo B so
that is kind of different

__
We also miss this option. We have a very huge amount of data for our board mainly minutes and informational files. This is mainly archive but needs to be consultable. we dont want to synch this data to every boardmembers private disk so they should only consult it in the browserversion of owncloud.
All recent files need to be synch'ed so they can easyly modify it and upload extra docs for the next meeting.
A serverside option such as 'no synch' would really help