files deleted by client in recycle bin?

Matthias
Dear Group,

I seems to me that files, deleted by the windows client, do not appear
in the windows recycle bin. Is there another place where theses files
are copied to? I think moving theses files to the windows recycle bin
would be good for security reasons to avoid data loss. What do you think?

Matthias

Re: files deleted by client in recycle bin?

Chris-3

Re: files deleted by client in recycle bin?

Matthias
Hi,

interesting thread. The last person in the thread wrote that putting
files in the trash of the server and of the client is not a good idea.
This might be true in most cases. But for me, the client deleted files
before they were synct to the server (client 1.3). These files are gone.
And it is also not very helpful for data protection reasons as
jochenwezel wrote I think.

What do you think?

Matthias

======= Original message from =======

Jakob Sack-2
Hi,

assuming the sync client works well (it does for me) it only deletes a
file if you deleted it somewhere else. So you have the file either on
another computer or in the ownCloud recycle bin.
I really think that the sync client should not use the systems recycle
bin at all.
Best,

Jakob

Am 27.09.2013 12:18, schrieb Matthias:

> Hi,
>
> interesting thread. The last person in the thread wrote that putting
> files in the trash of the server and of the client is not a good
> idea.
> This might be true in most cases. But for me, the client deleted
> files
> before they were synct to the server (client 1.3). These files are
> gone. And it is also not very helpful for data protection reasons as
> jochenwezel wrote I think.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Matthias
>

> ======= Original message from =======

Arman Khalatyan-2
The Owncloud sync functionality is not a backup solution. If you delete something accidentally you should be able to restore you data from backups.
In our OC instance I provide hourly incremental backup with "rdiff-backup" on the server side for each user. If some one deletes or edit something we can rollback changes.

arman.

Am <a href="tel:27.09.2013%2012" value="+12709201312" target="_blank">27.09.2013 12:18, schrieb Matthias:

Hi,

interesting thread. The last person in the thread wrote that putting
files in the trash of the server and of the client is not a good idea.
This might be true in most cases. But for me, the client deleted files
before they were synct to the server (client 1.3). These files are
gone. And it is also not very helpful for data protection reasons as
jochenwezel wrote I think.

What do you think?

Matthias

======= Original message from =======
seems this was requested but rejected some times ago:

https://github.com/owncloud/mirall/issues/528#issuecomment-17173817

Re: files deleted by client in recycle bin?

Matthias
Most people will use cloud systems as backup software.

Am 27.09.2013 18:09, schrieb Arman Khalatyan:
> The Owncloud sync functionality is not a backup solution.

Re: files deleted by client in recycle bin?

André Schild
Am 27.09.2013 18:58, schrieb Matthias:
> Most people will use cloud systems as backup software.
No, not most

many will use it as backup, but just as many users use it as primary
data store.
There is no such "all users use the same from the cloud".

André

Re: files deleted by client in recycle bin?

Jakub Moscicki
Hello,

Here is my take on this issue - I placed it on github for a better visibility and tracking for the developers:

kuba