internal server error?

Stefan Vollmar
Dear all,

I have just spoken to one of our scientists who is using the current Mac sync client (1.4.2) with ownCloud 5.0.10 running on a Ubuntu 12 LTS VM. He reported an "internal server error", after about 10 minutes everything apparently turned back to "green" on his machine.

I appreciate that OwnCloud seems to have some "self-healing capabilities" - but I would like to know what the cause of this error message might have been. I have found nothing suspicious in the server logs (the system has plenty of ressources and is mostly idle), possibly a larger number of
"{"app":"files_sharing","message":"File source not found for: …" messages in /owncloud/data/owncloud.log about files of that particular user might hint at some (temporary?) problem.

Any ideas?
Everything seems to be "back to normal" - for now...

Many thanks in advance.
Warm regards,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Head of IT group

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: internal server error?

maex
Hi Stefan,,
see : https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/5000
or the issue i created : https://github.com/owncloud/mirall/issues/1126

Sometimes I had a infinity crash for a certain updated file to upload.
And sometimes one crash and the second try was successfully.

The mentioned workaround, seams to work for now.

Matthias

On 05.11.2013 16:00, Stefan Vollmar wrote:
[...]

Roland Hager
On 05.11.2013 21:54, maex wrote:
Hi Stefan,,
see : https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/5000
or the issue i created : https://github.com/owncloud/mirall/issues/1126

Sometimes I had a infinity crash for a certain updated file to upload.
And sometimes one crash and the second try was successfully.

The mentioned workaround, seams to work for now.

Matthias
[...]

Yes, the current stable5 tree in github seems to fix the issue #5000. For some reason there is still no bugfix release for this show stopper, so you need to get it from github directly.

BUT: The issue occurred (at least for me) in version 5.0.11 (and persists in 5.0.12) NOT in version 5.0.10.

An "internal server error" means the PHP process died for some reason and cannot answer any more requests. If the problem does not occur the next time everything is fine. Not really self-healing ... sounds more like temporary problems.
Those "Internal Server Error" could have plenty of reasons ... If you use mod_fcgid for excecuting PHP there are some timeouts that may trigger a 500'er like FcgidIOTimeout.  php.ini limits may also trigger a 500'er. All those limits may or may not be triggered by "evil OC code", hard to say without inspecting the server.

Best regards
Roland Hager

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment