location of the config files

kwillems
As described here the config files a stored here: %LOCALAPPDATA%\ownCloud\owncloud.cfg

At the office, our system admins want to store those file on another location and are asking to make the location configurable.
It has to do something about the user profiles.

Well anyway: before filing in a ticket: what are the toughts about this?

Cheers,
Koen

Re: location of the config files

Nicolas Berens-2
You could softlink the config directory to /etc/owncloud, et voilà, its in the
"correct" directory.
But ask them wy exactly they want it in another directory  (because if the
config directory is configurable where is the configuration for the configuration,
which makes no sense)

Greetings,
Nicolas

Am Sonntag, 14. Juli 2013, 14:14:06 schrieb kwillems:

> As described  here
> <http://doc.owncloud.org/desktop/1.3/usage.html#config-file>   the config
> files a stored here: %LOCALAPPDATA%\ownCloud\owncloud.cfg
>
> At the office, our system admins want to store those file on another
> location and are asking to make the location configurable.
> It has to do something about the user profiles.
>
> Well anyway: before filing in a ticket: what are the toughts about this?
>
> Cheers,
> Koen

Re: location of the config files

Robert Sander
On 14.07.2013 23:14, kwillems wrote:
> As described  here
> <http://doc.owncloud.org/desktop/1.3/usage.html#config-file>   the config
> files a stored here: %LOCALAPPDATA%\ownCloud\owncloud.cfg
>
> At the office, our system admins want to store those file on another
> location and are asking to make the location configurable.
> It has to do something about the user profiles.

%LOCALAPPDATA% is not part of the roaming profile (hint: LOCAL). This
causes an empty ownCloud configuration when the user logins to another
machine in the domain.

The ownCloud config file should really be in %APPDATA% if you are using
roaming profiles.

I have no idea why the developers chose that location. Maybe someone can
enlighten us?

Regards
--
Robert Sander
Heinlein Support GmbH

http://www.heinlein-support.de

Tel: 030 / 405051-43
Fax: 030 / 405051-19

Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG:
HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg,

Re: location of the config files

Daniel Molkentin
Hi,

Am 15.07.2013 um 09:49 schrieb Robert Sander:

On 14.07.2013 23:14, kwillems wrote:
As described  here
<http://doc.owncloud.org/desktop/1.3/usage.html#config-file>   the config
files a stored here: %LOCALAPPDATA%\ownCloud\owncloud.cfg

At the office, our system admins want to store those file on another
location and are asking to make the location configurable.
It has to do something about the user profiles.

%LOCALAPPDATA% is not part of the roaming profile (hint: LOCAL). This
causes an empty ownCloud configuration when the user logins to another
machine in the domain.

The ownCloud config file should really be in %APPDATA% if you are using
roaming profiles.

I have no idea why the developers chose that location. Maybe someone can
enlighten us?

First of all because that's what Qt returns when being asked for per-user-storage, second of all because we didn't really see the benefit of supporting storage of the configuration in the roaming profile. Roaming profiles have not been tested by us and all use-cases I have heard of so far sounded rather scary.

There are two issues here:
- Settings storage location (%APPDATA% vs. %LOCALAPPDATA%)
- Location of the data folder (ownCloud): Microsoft mandates that apps are supposed to write their data into %USERPROFILE% only, but that conflicts with roaming profiles, so sysadmins need to be able to specify an alternate, user-writeable default location.

Support for Roaming profiles is scheduled for 1.4, and I am going to work on it, so your input on the subject is welcome at https://github.com/owncloud/mirall/issues/684. Please add your use cases to that ticket.

That said, you can pass --confdir as a workaround, and point it to the roaming data location. You can try and see if it works.

Btw: When seeking an alternative location for the file storage, people usually use NFS or SMB, and have all clients access the same file location. Don't do this. Multiple clients synchronizing the same _local_ directory will cause a race-condition.

Cheers,
  Daniel
--
www.owncloud.com - Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!