Quantcast

locked in limbo after distro upgrade

João M. S. Silva
Hi,

Yesterday I upgraded my server to Ubuntu 16.04.1 and now I can't upgrade
ownCloud:

$ sudo -u www-data /var/www/owncloud/occ upgrade
(...)
Exception: Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are
unsupported.
(...)

How can I solve this?

The distro dependency check does not allow the installation of an older
version of ownCloud. On the other hand, ownCloud does not upgrade to the
newer version.

There must be a solution?

Thanks.

--
João M. S. Silva

Re: locked in limbo after distro upgrade

Victor Dubiniuk-2
Hi!

TL;DR
https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/maintenance/package_upgrade.html#upgrading-across-skipped-releases

Please start with getting
- the version before dist upgrade:
grep version /var/www/owncloud/config/config.php
- our current version:
#grep VersionString /var/www/owncloud/version.php

Now you need to do a subsequent migration through the recent release of
the version you had before and the recent major releases listed at the
page https://owncloud.org/changelog/
e.g. for v8.1.3  and v9.0.4
it is 8.1.3-> 8.1.9->8.2.7->9.0.4

It can be done either by
- switching repos. There are links to repos at the changelog page. Don't
forget to run occ upgrade after installing each version from the repo
- manually per instructions at
https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/maintenance/manual_upgrade.html

Regards,
Victor

On 09/01/2016 10:36 PM, João M. S. Silva wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I upgraded my server to Ubuntu 16.04.1 and now I can't
> upgrade ownCloud:
>
> $ sudo -u www-data /var/www/owncloud/occ upgrade
> (...)
> Exception: Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are
> unsupported.
> (...)
>
> How can I solve this?
>
> The distro dependency check does not allow the installation of an
> older version of ownCloud. On the other hand, ownCloud does not
> upgrade to the newer version.
>
> There must be a solution?
>
> Thanks.

Re: locked in limbo after distro upgrade

João M. S. Silva
Thanks.

That would work if there were no package dependencies.

Ubuntu 16.04 has php7 while OC 8.2 needs php5. So I'm stuck.

There is a private repo from Ondrej to install php5.6 in Ubuntu 16.04,
but it still does not work (php5.6 != php5).

This is extremely time consuming, so I have to be pragmatic.

Now I'm just trying to install a recent version of OC and then copy the
files from the old installation to the new installation in the server.

It seems the developers haven't considered the possibility of a release
upgrade in Ubuntu.

João M. S. Silva

On 09/02/2016 12:53 AM, Victor Dubiniuk wrote:

> Hi!
>
> TL;DR
> https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/maintenance/package_upgrade.html#upgrading-across-skipped-releases
>

> Please start with getting
> - the version before dist upgrade:
> grep version /var/www/owncloud/config/config.php
> - our current version:
> #grep VersionString /var/www/owncloud/version.php
>
> Now you need to do a subsequent migration through the recent release of
> the version you had before and the recent major releases listed at the
> page https://owncloud.org/changelog/
> e.g. for v8.1.3  and v9.0.4
> it is 8.1.3-> 8.1.9->8.2.7->9.0.4
>
> It can be done either by
> - switching repos. There are links to repos at the changelog page. Don't
> forget to run occ upgrade after installing each version from the repo
> - manually per instructions at
> https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/maintenance/manual_upgrade.html
>

> Regards,
> Victor
>
> On 09/01/2016 10:36 PM, João M. S. Silva wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yesterday I upgraded my server to Ubuntu 16.04.1 and now I can't
>> upgrade ownCloud:
>>
>> $ sudo -u www-data /var/www/owncloud/occ upgrade
>> (...)
>> Exception: Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are
>> unsupported.
>> (...)
>>
>> How can I solve this?
>>
>> The distro dependency check does not allow the installation of an
>> older version of ownCloud. On the other hand, ownCloud does not
>> upgrade to the newer version.
>>
>> There must be a solution?
>>
>> Thanks.

Re: locked in limbo after distro upgrade

Chris-3

Re: locked in limbo after distro upgrade

João M. S. Silva

Hi. I cannot install the old version because it depends on php5. Ubuntu does not have php5. Therefore I cannot upgrade a single step.

On 2 Sep 2016 09:23, "Chris" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

as written by Victor you can do the manual upgrades like described in the
documentation up to your current version. There you won't have any
dependency issues.

Re: locked in limbo after distro upgrade

Chris-3

Re: locked in limbo after distro upgrade

João M. S. Silva
I have removed /var/www/owncloud so the possibility of an upgrade is
lost. My fault.

However, I don't think your instructions work. For instance, in
https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/maintenance/manual_upgrade.html
when you run step 10 (sudo -u apache php occ upgrade) you will get an
error message saying that you can't update multiple versions at a time.

Unless I'm missing something, this is a deadlock situation which
requires serious hacking to solve.

It doesn't matter if you use a package manager or not to install
ownCloud. When I upgrade the OS, I had an older version of OC. Even if I
use the tarball for that version of OC, that package will *not* include
php5. So the binaries will require php5. But php5 does not exist in
Ubuntu 16.04. The private repo from Ondrej provides php5.6 (not php5)
which does not solve the problem.

So, you can never run the older version of OC unless you hack in seriously.

On the other hand, installing the latest version is easy, but you can't
*manually* upgrade multiple versions at a time.

So, where is the fault of my reasoning in my explanation above? I thank
for the links you provided but if you only point me to links it's harder
to find what's wrong. And I've followed those links and tried those
steps. Please pinpoint the fault in my reasoning.

I don't think the possibility of OS release upgrade was considered by OC
developers.

Thanks for the support.

I'm now trying to install the latest version of OC, create the users
again, and then copy the contents of the backed-up <user>/files/ to the
empty directory in the new installation.

João M. S. Silva

On 09/02/2016 02:48 PM, Victor Dubiniuk wrote:

> On 09/02/2016 11:45 AM, João M. S. Silva wrote:
>>
>> Hi. I cannot install the old version because it depends on php5.
>> Ubuntu does not have php5. Therefore I cannot upgrade a single step.
>>

> - manually per instructions at
> https://doc.owncloud.org/server/9.0/admin_manual/maintenance/manual_upgrade.html
>
>> On 2 Sep 2016 09:23, "Chris" <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi,
>>
>>     as written by Victor you can do the manual upgrades like described
>>     in the
>>     documentation up to your current version. There you won't have any
>>     dependency issues.

Re: locked in limbo after distro upgrade

Chris-3

Re: locked in limbo after distro upgrade

Lamar Owen
On 09/01/2016 03:36 PM, João M. S. Silva wrote:
> There must be a solution?

The best solution is to not upgrade your distribution before upgrading
owncloud.  There are bigger problems with distro upgrades if you use the
PostgreSQL backend, for instance.  Distro upgrades of servers need to be
planned with all contingencies.  Better is to install the new distro
version on another machine and do a migration, keeping your data safely
on the old machine in maintenance mode when things break.

But you do miss the point that the occ script and the console.php script
it calls do not rely on necessarily having php5; it looks like anything
5.4 and above is supposed to work.  So installing the tarball release
and then running the occ script should work with php7.

Re: locked in limbo after distro upgrade

João M. S. Silva
I have installed the latest version and it seems to be working
correctly. I backed up all files and moved them in from the backup copy
into the new OC installation directory. Syncing with the local copy took
some time but it seems OK now.

Notwithstanding, I tried to get 8.2.7 and test if occ would run with
php7. I moved /var/www/ownCloud to /var/www/ownCloud.bak and placed
ownCloud from the tar.bz2 there. Then I ran "sudo su - www-data occ
upgrade" but it said "This account is currently not available". I got
"scared" and reverted /var/www/ownCloud.bak to its previous location
(one user could change a file meanwhile and cause an error).

Unless I made a mistake when I tried this before, when I ran occ from
the tar.bz2 it asked for php5. And php5.6 wouldn't do. But I may not
remember correctly, so you may be correct.

If there is a safe way to test if occ runs with php7 in my current
installation, I can test it if you like.

Thanks.

João M. S. Silva

On 09/03/2016 12:18 PM, Chris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i still think that you don't get the point here. Just:
>
> 1. Remove all files and folders except /data/ and /config/ from
> /var/www/owncloud
> 2. Download the current version of your branch (e.g. 8.2.7) from
> https://owncloud.org/changelog/
> 3. Extract the content of the archive to /var/www/owncloud
> 4. Run occ upgrade
>
> Repeat this steps with 9.0.4 and 9.1.0. This issue here is not about any
> dependency issue or distro upgrade. You just have skipped an major release
> which is unsupported as stated at various points.

Re: locked in limbo after distro upgrade

João M. S. Silva
> The best solution is to not upgrade your distribution before upgrading
> owncloud.  There are bigger problems with distro upgrades if you use the
> PostgreSQL backend, for instance.  Distro upgrades of servers need to be
> planned with all contingencies.  Better is to install the new distro
> version on another machine and do a migration, keeping your data safely
> on the old machine in maintenance mode when things break.

I admit that the release upgrade was not planned carefully (not planned
at all). I was expecting some adjustments would be needed, but not a
deadlock.

Why not simply provide a standalone script to migrate the data from
version to version? It is a common design pattern to provide scripts to
migrate formats from version to version nowadays.

Looking from above this was the only piece of software in this server
that had problems with the upgrade. It does not "feel" like something
that could happen.

> But you do miss the point that the occ script and the console.php script
> it calls do not rely on necessarily having php5; it looks like anything
> 5.4 and above is supposed to work.  So installing the tarball release
> and then running the occ script should work with php7.

OK. If, like I said in my previous post, there is a safe way to test it,
I'm available to do so.