ownCloud 4.5.3

Frank Karlitschek-3
Hi everybody,

we just releases 4.5.3
http://owncloud.org

Together with the Desktop Client 1.1.2 from yesterday we fixed a lot of critical bugs.
http://owncloud.org/changelog/

Thanks to everybody who contributed. I?m so happy that we have such a great and active community.

ownCloud 4.5.3

Felip Moll
Hi people,

I am happy to see that you are doing such an effort to code all so quickly
and improving OwnCloud so much.

Please, permit me to explain my opinion...

The fact is that I think that newer releases shouldn't be released so fast.
IMHO there are a lot of critical bugs, like the ones reported about quotas,
or others with the interface, that should be corrected first before
releasing a new version.

Doing this way makes people to feel like Owncloud is not stable and
unsuitable for enterprise or production servers.. it is my feeling.

I would prefer you to focus more on solving the bugs than adding new
features, or at least to not release new versions "selling" it like release
versions while there are so many bugs.

It is only my point of view, maybe I misunderstood your release policy, and
please, keep doing this work because it can become a real alternative to
things such dropbox.

Best regards,
Felip Moll

2012/11/27 Frank Karlitschek <frank at owncloud.org>

> Hi everybody,
>
> we just releases 4.5.3
> http://owncloud.org
>
> Together with the Desktop Client 1.1.2 from yesterday we fixed a lot of
> critical bugs.
> http://owncloud.org/changelog/
>
> Thanks to everybody who contributed. I?m so happy that we have such a
> great and active community.
>

> Frank

ownCloud 4.5.3

Frank Karlitschek-3
Hi Filip,

I share you opinion.
Because of the the 4.5.3 release is a pure bugfix release that addresses a lot of the issues.
No new features where added.

Frank

On 27.11.2012, at 14:06, Felip Moll <lipixx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> I am happy to see that you are doing such an effort to code all so quickly and improving OwnCloud so much.
>
> Please, permit me to explain my opinion...
>
> The fact is that I think that newer releases shouldn't be released so fast. IMHO there are a lot of critical bugs, like the ones reported about quotas, or others with the interface, that should be corrected first before releasing a new version.
>
> Doing this way makes people to feel like Owncloud is not stable and unsuitable for enterprise or production servers.. it is my feeling.
>
> I would prefer you to focus more on solving the bugs than adding new features, or at least to not release new versions "selling" it like release versions while there are so many bugs.
>
> It is only my point of view, maybe I misunderstood your release policy, and please, keep doing this work because it can become a real alternative to things such dropbox.
>
> Best regards,
> Felip Moll
>
> 2012/11/27 Frank Karlitschek <frank at owncloud.org>
> Hi everybody,
>
> we just releases 4.5.3
> http://owncloud.org
>
> Together with the Desktop Client 1.1.2 from yesterday we fixed a lot of critical bugs.
> http://owncloud.org/changelog/
>
> Thanks to everybody who contributed. I?m so happy that we have such a great and active community.
>

> Frank

ownCloud 4.5.3

Thomas Müller
Hi Felip,

there is always a trade-off between waiting for bugs to be fixed vs. bug fix to be released.

If we will wait until all bugs are fixed we will never release anything.
On the other hand we had bugs in 4.5.2 which have been fixed pretty fast and people have
been reporting the same issue multiple times.

No matter which way you choose:
I'll be too fast of the one and too slow for the other. ;-)

Thanks and take care,

Tom

Am Dienstag, dem 27.11.2012 um 14:06 schrieb Felip Moll:

> Hi people,
>
> I am happy to see that you are doing such an effort to code all so quickly
> and improving OwnCloud so much.
>
> Please, permit me to explain my opinion...
>
> The fact is that I think that newer releases shouldn't be released so fast.
> IMHO there are a lot of critical bugs, like the ones reported about quotas,
> or others with the interface, that should be corrected first before
> releasing a new version.
>
> Doing this way makes people to feel like Owncloud is not stable and
> unsuitable for enterprise or production servers.. it is my feeling.
>
> I would prefer you to focus more on solving the bugs than adding new
> features, or at least to not release new versions "selling" it like release
> versions while there are so many bugs.
>
> It is only my point of view, maybe I misunderstood your release policy, and
> please, keep doing this work because it can become a real alternative to
> things such dropbox.
>
> Best regards,
> Felip Moll
>
> 2012/11/27 Frank Karlitschek <frank at owncloud.org>
>
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > we just releases 4.5.3
> > http://owncloud.org
> >
> > Together with the Desktop Client 1.1.2 from yesterday we fixed a lot of
> > critical bugs.
> > http://owncloud.org/changelog/
> >
> > Thanks to everybody who contributed. I?m so happy that we have such a
> > great and active community.
> >

> > Frank

ownCloud 4.5.3

Felip Moll
I agree with you that you have to release versions for bugfixes, but maybe
you can release only patches and no new versions, or explicitly say that X
release is a bugfix release.  I know patches are already released and
people sometimes doesn't know how to apply them and makes new bug reports
while they are currently solved, so better to release new versions.

It is complicated.

Also to see notices like this:
*Latest News*: ownCloud *4.5.3* New major release with exciting new
features just released! View the
announcement<https://owncloud.com/blog/owncloud45-community>,
changelog <http://owncloud.org/changelog> and
download<http://mirrors.owncloud.org/releases/owncloud-4.5.3.tar.bz2>it
now!

while 4.5.3 is only a bugfix release with no "exciting new features", tends
to confuse people.

By the other hand:
4.5.3 - 27th Nov
4.5.2 - 14th Nov
4.5.1 - 24th Oct
4.5.0 - 10th Oct

Every 2 weeks, new release. How time does an administrator to implement a
new sevice, correct some bugs, adapt to the business and release it?

Take all my thoughts as positive, not to create a flame ;)

2012/11/27 Thomas M?ller <thomas.mueller at tmit.eu>

> Hi Felip,
>
> there is always a trade-off between waiting for bugs to be fixed vs. bug
> fix to be released.
>
> If we will wait until all bugs are fixed we will never release anything.
> On the other hand we had bugs in 4.5.2 which have been fixed pretty fast
> and people have
> been reporting the same issue multiple times.
>
> No matter which way you choose:
> I'll be too fast of the one and too slow for the other. ;-)
>
> Thanks and take care,
>
> Tom
>
> Am Dienstag, dem 27.11.2012 um 14:06 schrieb Felip Moll:
> > Hi people,
> >
> > I am happy to see that you are doing such an effort to code all so
> quickly
> > and improving OwnCloud so much.
> >
> > Please, permit me to explain my opinion...
> >
> > The fact is that I think that newer releases shouldn't be released so
> fast.
> > IMHO there are a lot of critical bugs, like the ones reported about
> quotas,
> > or others with the interface, that should be corrected first before
> > releasing a new version.
> >
> > Doing this way makes people to feel like Owncloud is not stable and
> > unsuitable for enterprise or production servers.. it is my feeling.
> >
> > I would prefer you to focus more on solving the bugs than adding new
> > features, or at least to not release new versions "selling" it like
> release
> > versions while there are so many bugs.
> >
> > It is only my point of view, maybe I misunderstood your release policy,
> and
> > please, keep doing this work because it can become a real alternative to
> > things such dropbox.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Felip Moll
> >
> > 2012/11/27 Frank Karlitschek <frank at owncloud.org>
> >
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > we just releases 4.5.3
> > > http://owncloud.org
> > >
> > > Together with the Desktop Client 1.1.2 from yesterday we fixed a lot of
> > > critical bugs.
> > > http://owncloud.org/changelog/
> > >
> > > Thanks to everybody who contributed. I?m so happy that we have such a
> > > great and active community.
> > >

> > > Frank

ownCloud 4.5.3

Tobias Aichele-2
2012/11/27 Frank Karlitschek <frank at owncloud.org>

> Hi Filip,
>
> I share you opinion.
> Because of the the 4.5.3 release is a pure bugfix release that addresses a
> lot of the issues.
> No new features where added.

So I can upgrade from the 4.0 Branch to the stabel 4.5 Branch  if the first
5.0 Branch is released. :)
Always one Branch after the latest Branch. :)

New Features are only in the new Branch, but Bugfixes are in the latest
stable Branch.

> Frank

ownCloud 4.5.3

Johan Hendriks
Op 27-11-2012 14:27, Felip Moll schreef:
> Every 2 weeks, new release. How time does an administrator to
> implement a new sevice, correct some bugs, adapt to the business and
> release it?
>

> Take all my thoughts as positive, not to create a flame ;)
Well if it all works for the adminstrator and his organisation, why
upgrade ?
You need to upgrade in case of security issues, but if the release he
uses  does not contain any security issue and it all works like it
should at there site, there is no need to upgrade.

If however he misses some functionality or he encouter bugs that disrupt
the normal workflow, than he CAN update.

Problem with this kind of software in such a young project is that there
are a lot of things that needs to be ironed out.
There are always edge cases. If you think you have the solution another
one hits another edge case because he does things the other way around
or use some functionality differently.
You will see that when the project matures, releases will become less
frequent.

Sometimes i get the idea that people always want to update just for the
sake of updating.
It will however not always bring what you need.

So an admin can decide for himself if he wants to update or just test
the update.

gr
Johan Hendriks

ownCloud 4.5.3

Thomas Tanghus

Shouldn't this be changed to say the same as for 4.0.9? http://owncloud.org/

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus

ownCloud 4.5.3

Michael Grosser
done

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Thomas Tanghus <thomas at tanghus.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 November 2012 14:27 Felip Moll wrote:
> > Also to see notices like this:
> > *Latest News*: ownCloud *4.5.3* New major release with exciting new
> > features just released!
>
> Shouldn't this be changed to say the same as for 4.0.9?
> http://owncloud.org/
>
> --
> Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards
>
> Thomas Tanghus

ownCloud 4.5.3

tallship

On 11/27/2012 05:27 AM, Felip Moll wrote:
> I agree with you that you have to release versions for bugfixes, but maybe
> you can release only patches and no new versions, or explicitly say that X
> release is a bugfix release.  I know patches are already released and
> people sometimes doesn't know how to apply them and makes new bug reports
> while they are currently solved, so better to release new versions.
>
> It is complicated.

Perhaps a blend, like people do with coffee ;)

Say...

4.5.0 for the major release

4.5.3rcX where X is the ordinal number for the release candidate.

4.5.3 for the minor release

4.5.3a, 4.5.3b, etc., where 24 patch levels could be observed as part of
the 4.5.3 minor version release level product?

Okay for those who are going to gig me on my ABC's..... You should
remember one thing before flaming me, namely that L&M got kicked out for
smoking ;)

Seriously though, at the application level, and particularly with
regards to SaaS or web-based based apps, patches themselves will indeed
find the bugtraq collecting unnecessary entries.

I tend to think of patches as applicable to something that is more along
the lines of daemons and other system level software.

Regardless, a rock solid updater service inherent in *core* would be a
big boon (which is indeed getting there), and too bad there isn't a
corollary to Drupal's drush.

Kindest regards,

- --
Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services
NorthTech Computer
TEL: +1.310.388.9469  (US)
TEL: +44.203.318.2755 (UK)
TEL: +41.43.508.05.10 (CH)
http://NorthTech.US

ownCloud 4.5.3

tallship

Hi Arman,

I've forwarded this to the list because I think you hit 'reply' instead
of 'reply list' or 'reply all', and figured this should be shared with
everyone on the list :)

On 11/28/2012 01:25 AM, Arman Khalatyan wrote:

> +1 for rc-a,b,c
>
> Otherwise we got headache from upgrades and updates...My users always
> claim , why we still using old version?:)
> Arman.
>

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Bradley D. Thornton
> <Bradley at northtech.us> wrote:

> Perhaps a blend, like people do with coffee ;)
>
> Say...
>
> 4.5.0 for the major release
>
> 4.5.3rcX where X is the ordinal number for the release candidate.
>
> 4.5.3 for the minor release
>
> 4.5.3a, 4.5.3b, etc., where 24 patch levels could be observed as part of
> the 4.5.3 minor version release level product?
>
> Okay for those who are going to gig me on my ABC's..... You should
> remember one thing before flaming me, namely that L&M got kicked out for
> smoking ;)
>
> Seriously though, at the application level, and particularly with
> regards to SaaS or web-based based apps, patches themselves will indeed
> find the bugtraq collecting unnecessary entries.
>
> I tend to think of patches as applicable to something that is more along
> the lines of daemons and other system level software.
>
> Regardless, a rock solid updater service inherent in *core* would be a
> big boon (which is indeed getting there), and too bad there isn't a
> corollary to Drupal's drush.
>
> Kindest regards,

- --
Bradley D. Thornton