ownCloud Client 1.5.1 released

Daniel Molkentin
Hi,

we are happy to announce ownCloud Client 1.5.1, a significant update of 1.5.0 including important bug fixes and a few new features such as an improved update mechanism. Update is recommended.

Highlights:

* [Feature] An automatic updater will update Windows and Mac OS X installations whenever a new version becomes available. See [1] for details, especially before deploying 1.5.1 in large organizations.
* [Feature] Provide information about the current connection's encryption and SSL certificate chain in the account dialog
* Handle Windows LNK files correctly
* Detect remove and renames in read only shared and restore removed files there (#1368)
* Preserve permissions of local files (#820)
* Apply network limit changes to active sync run
* Proxy support in owncloud command line client
* [Packaging] Move ocsync library into mirall package

The complete ChangeLog is available at [2]

You can download the new version at [3]. Users that installed RC1 or a later nightly build will receive an automatic update to the final version.

Cheers,
  Daniel (for the Client team)

--
www.owncloud.com - Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

Re: ownCloud Client 1.5.1 released

Thomas Gries
Am 14.02.2014 12:03, schrieb Daniel Molkentin:

> we are happy
yes!
> to announce ownCloud Client 1.5.1, a significant update
>
> * [Feature] Provide information about the current connection's
> encryption and SSL certificate chain in the account dialog

I tried to find (but could not find) an client menu entry to inspect the
encryption and certificate chain info and fingerprints
(in the new 1.5.1  window client for my existing account).

Please can you assist - or did I overlook something ?

For improved security awareness

    - one of the reasons why ownCloud was developed -

I again ask that a permanent entry in the account settings should allow
the user to inspect the current encryption and cert info for that account.
This has been previously filed in bug#44 issue
https://github.com/owncloud/mirall/issues/44 (closed, but I think, it
should be reopened).

Am 15.02.2014 um 10:13 schrieb Thomas Gries:

Am 14.02.2014 12:03, schrieb Daniel Molkentin:

* [Feature] Provide information about the current connection's encryption and SSL certificate chain in the account dialog

I tried to find (but could not find) an client menu entry to inspect the encryption and certificate chain info and fingerprints
(in the new 1.5.1  window client for my existing account).

Please can you assist - or did I overlook something ?

Right under the "Account to synchronize" heading, you will find a padlock icon. If it's green (i.e. not yellow with a warning sign, which signifies an unencrypted connection), you can view the certificate chain by clicking on it. Hovering over an item in the chain will show all details, including fingerprints.

For improved security awareness

  - one of the reasons why ownCloud was developed -

I again ask that a permanent entry in the account settings should allow the user to inspect the current encryption and cert info for that account.

???

This has been previously filed in bug#44 issue https://github.com/owncloud/mirall/issues/44 (closed, but I think, it should be reopened).

It was closed for 1.5.1 because this is _exactly_ what this feature implements.

Daniel

Am 15.02.2014 11:08, schrieb Daniel Molkentin:

Please can you assist - or did I overlook something ?

Right under the "Account to synchronize" heading, you will find a padlock icon. If it's green (i.e. not yellow with a warning sign, which signifies an unencrypted connection), you can view the certificate chain by clicking on it. Hovering over an item in the chain will show all details, including fingerprints.

I don't have that entry or padlock icon (what do you mean exactly? can you send a screenshot pls.?)
Perhaps as idea, to change the green "checkmark (tick)" into a green padlock with a tick?

Re: ownCloud Client 1.5.1 released

Thomas Gries
Am 15.02.2014 11:08, schrieb Daniel Molkentin:

Right under the "Account to synchronize" heading, you will find a padlock icon. If it's green (i.e. not yellow with a warning sign, which signifies an unencrypted connection), you can view the certificate chain by clicking on it. Hovering over an item in the chain will show all details, including fingerprints.

Does not work for me:

Windows 8
OC CLIENT 1.5.1:

Re: ownCloud Client 1.5.1 released

Dr. Hirn
> Windows 8
> OC CLIENT 1.5.1:

See screenshot
Windows 7, OC 1.5.1

Stefan

oc.PNG (23K) Download Attachment

Am 15.02.2014 um 11:27 schrieb Thomas Gries:

Am 15.02.2014 11:08, schrieb Daniel Molkentin:

Right under the "Account to synchronize" heading, you will find a padlock icon. If it's green (i.e. not yellow with a warning sign, which signifies an unencrypted connection), you can view the certificate chain by clicking on it. Hovering over an item in the chain will show all details, including fingerprints.

I don't have that entry or padlock icon (what do you mean exactly? can you send a screenshot pls.?)
Perhaps as idea, to change the green "checkmark (tick)" into a green padlock with a tick?

Your screenshot exhibits a bug: The client claims its disconnected while it's probably not (or it claims that it's online while its not). Had the UI known it was connected, you would see the padlock icon. Please file a bug report, I'll take a look. It would also be nice if you can find out how to reproduce it (i.e. does it happen to you always, or does it go away after a restart? Does a disconnect trigger this behavior?)

As for the wizard case: When you enter the URL, it the wizard has not made a connection yet, and it will issue a warning if the certificate cannot be trusted. If it has made a connection, you can look up the connection details after finishing the wizard.

The green pad lock item in the wizard simply simply indicates wether the connection is attempted in HTTPs, and is meant as a guidance to inexperienced users.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
www.owncloud.com - Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!

Re: ownCloud Client 1.5.1 released

Achim Bohnet
On Freitag 14 Feb 2014 12:03:32 Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are happy to announce ownCloud Client 1.5.1, a significant update of
> 1.5.0 including important bug fixes and a few new features such as an
> improved update mechanism. Update is recommended.

Pkg update from 1.5.1rc1 to 1.5.1 does not work in *ubuntu.

Version 1.5.1rc1 is greater 1.5.1.  Please use ~ before alpha beta rc release
e.g. 1.x.y~rc1 because that's smaller than 1.x.y in deb version system.

Workaround to update from rc1 to final:

apt-get install libowncloudsync0=1.5.1 owncloud-client=1.5.1 owncloud-client-l10n=1.5.1

Thx for the cool owncloud client software,
Achim

P.S. Details:

# apt-cache policy owncloud-client
owncloud-client:
  Installiert:           1.5.1rc1
  Installationskandidat: 1.5.1rc1
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 1.5.1rc1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.5.1 0
        500 http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/isv:/ownCloud:/desktop/xUbuntu_13.10/  Packages
     1.5.0+dfsg-4ubuntu1 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages

--
  To me vi is Zen.  To use vi is to practice zen. Every command is
                                      -- [hidden email]

Re: ownCloud Client 1.5.1 released

Klaas Freitag-3
On 16.02.2014 12:19, Achim Bohnet wrote:

> On Freitag 14 Feb 2014 12:03:32 Daniel Molkentin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we are happy to announce ownCloud Client 1.5.1, a significant update of
>> 1.5.0 including important bug fixes and a few new features such as an
>> improved update mechanism. Update is recommended.
>
> Pkg update from 1.5.1rc1 to 1.5.1 does not work in *ubuntu.
>
> Version 1.5.1rc1 is greater 1.5.1.  Please use ~ before alpha beta rc release
> e.g. 1.x.y~rc1 because that's smaller than 1.x.y in deb version system.
>
> Workaround to update from rc1 to final:
>
> apt-get install libowncloudsync0=1.5.1 owncloud-client=1.5.1 owncloud-client-l10n=1.5.1

Thanks a lot for your help,

Klaas

> Thx for the cool owncloud client software,
> Achim
>
> P.S. Details:
>
> # apt-cache policy owncloud-client
> owncloud-client:
>    Installiert:           1.5.1rc1
>    Installationskandidat: 1.5.1rc1
>    Versionstabelle:
>   *** 1.5.1rc1 0
>          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>       1.5.1 0
>          500 http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/isv:/ownCloud:/desktop/xUbuntu_13.10/  Packages
>       1.5.0+dfsg-4ubuntu1 0
>          500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64 Packages
>

>> Highlights:
>>
>> * [Feature] An automatic updater will update Windows and Mac OS X
>> installations whenever a new version becomes available. See [1] for
>> details, especially before deploying 1.5.1 in large organizations. *
>> [Feature] Provide information about the current connection's encryption and
>> SSL certificate chain in the account dialog * Handle Windows LNK files
>> correctly
>> * Detect remove and renames in read only shared and restore removed files
>> there (#1368) * Preserve permissions of local files (#820)
>> * Apply network limit changes to active sync run
>> * Proxy support in owncloud command line client
>> * [Packaging] Move ocsync library into mirall package
>>
>> The complete ChangeLog is available at [2]
>>
>> You can download the new version at [3]. Users that installed RC1 or a later
>> nightly build will receive an automatic update to the final version.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>    Daniel (for the Client team)
>>
>> [1] http://doc.owncloud.org/desktop/1.5/autoupdate.html
>> [2] http://owncloud.org/sync-clients/
>> [3] http://owncloud.org/sync-clients/releases/
>>
>> --
>> www.owncloud.com - Your Data, Your Cloud, Your Way!
>>
>> ownCloud GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, Holger Dyroff
>> Schloßäckerstrasse 26a, 90443 Nürnberg, HRB 28050 (AG Nürnberg)

Re: ownCloud Client 1.5.1 released

Thomas Gries
Jan,
in general, after a restart of the client, it is working, but ....

surprisingly I don't see the used cipher suite (0 Bit ????)
I think, the oc-client display is wrong, not my server.

Any idea what is going wrong here ?

Am 15.02.2014 12:05, schrieb Jan ten Bokkel:
Take a look at this screenshot and see if you can find the padlock :)

Re: ownCloud Client 1.5.1 released

Jan ten Bokkel
Thomas, that does not look like very helpful information about the certificate :)
Please open an issue for this: https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues

Thomas Gries schreef op 17-2-2014 18:21:
Jan,
in general, after a restart of the client, it is working, but ....

surprisingly I don't see the used cipher suite (0 Bit ????)
I think, the oc-client display is wrong, not my server.

Any idea what is going wrong here ?

Am 15.02.2014 12:05, schrieb Jan ten Bokkel:
Take a look at this screenshot and see if you can find the padlock :)

Re: ownCloud Client 1.5.1 released

Szládovics Péter
Or, if you have openssl, please give us an output of a command similar below:

openssl s_client -connect yourhosname_or_ip:port

Your hostname is only the hostname (but the IP address is better) without protocol. If you use the default ssl configuration, the port is 443.
You can hide the hostname in the output, if you want.

Thomas, that does not look like very helpful information about the certificate :)
Please open an issue for this: https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues

Thomas Gries schreef op 17-2-2014 18:21:
Jan,
in general, after a restart of the client, it is working, but ....

surprisingly I don't see the used cipher suite (0 Bit ????)
I think, the oc-client display is wrong, not my server.

Any idea what is going wrong here ?

Am 15.02.2014 12:05, schrieb Jan ten Bokkel:
Take a look at this screenshot and see if you can find the padlock :)

--
Szládovics, Péter

Onlinedemo.HU
Arthur C. Clarke

Am 17.02.2014 21:16, schrieb Szládovics Péter:
Or, if you have openssl, please give us an output of a command similar below:

openssl s_client -connect yourhosname_or_ip:port

Please open an issue for this: https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues

Isn't that a client issue , i.e. for mirall ?