ownCloud Conf & Freiheit statt Angst

Oliver Gasser
Hi,

on 30th August exactly on the keynote day of the ownCloud contributor
conference there will be the "Freiheit statt Angst" Demo [1] in Berlin.
Is anyone planning on going there? Was the conference organization team
aware of this unfortunate event overlap?

Best,
Oliver

[1] https://freiheitstattangst.de/

Re: ownCloud Conf & Freiheit statt Angst

Frank Karlitschek-3
Wow. This is indeed unfortunate.
The conference date and time was triggered by external factors like the venue so unfortunately there is not a lot we can do here. :-(

Frank

> On 15.07.2014, at 07:50, Oliver Gasser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> on 30th August exactly on the keynote day of the ownCloud contributor
> conference there will be the "Freiheit statt Angst" Demo [1] in Berlin.
> Is anyone planning on going there? Was the conference organization team
> aware of this unfortunate event overlap?
>
> Best,
> Oliver
>
> [1] https://freiheitstattangst.de/

Re: ownCloud Conf & Freiheit statt Angst

Jan-Christoph Borchardt-4
Well, there will always be overlap in some way. And people can still
come on the 5 other days dedicated to hacking.

Let’s look at it from the perspective that we’ll be the coding branch
of »Freiheit statt Angst«. ;)
Maybe we could even contact them to do some cross-promotion.

On Di 15 Jul 2014 14:09:18 CEST, Frank Karlitschek wrote:

> Wow. This is indeed unfortunate.
> The conference date and time was triggered by external factors like the venue so unfortunately there is not a lot we can do here. :-(
>

> Frank
>

>> On 15.07.2014, at 07:50, Oliver Gasser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> on 30th August exactly on the keynote day of the ownCloud contributor
>> conference there will be the "Freiheit statt Angst" Demo [1] in Berlin.
>> Is anyone planning on going there? Was the conference organization team
>> aware of this unfortunate event overlap?
>>
>> Best,
>> Oliver
>>
>> [1] https://freiheitstattangst.de/

Re: ownCloud Conf & Freiheit statt Angst

Jos Poortvliet
On Tuesday 15 July 2014 14:39:44 Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> Well, there will always be overlap in some way. And people can still
> come on the 5 other days dedicated to hacking.
>
> Let’s look at it from the perspective that we’ll be the coding branch
> of »Freiheit statt Angst«. ;)
> Maybe we could even contact them to do some cross-promotion.

Yeah, we should. Also we could see if we could somehow participate... We
could decide to move the workshops to Sunday or something, so we have time on
Saturday to join them and tell people they should join ownCloud ;-)

> On Di 15 Jul 2014 14:09:18 CEST, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> > Wow. This is indeed unfortunate.
> > The conference date and time was triggered by external factors like the
> > venue so unfortunately there is not a lot we can do here. :-(
> >

> > Frank
> >
> >> On 15.07.2014, at 07:50, Oliver Gasser <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> on 30th August exactly on the keynote day of the ownCloud contributor
> >> conference there will be the "Freiheit statt Angst" Demo [1] in Berlin.
> >> Is anyone planning on going there? Was the conference organization team
> >> aware of this unfortunate event overlap?
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Oliver
> >>
> >> [1] https://freiheitstattangst.de/

Re: ownCloud Conf & Freiheit statt Angst

Alessandro Cosentino
I am sad for the overlap too, but moving the workshop to Sunday is a
bad idea. It's too late, there might be people who have already booked
the return flight for Sunday. How about Friday?

On Monday 21 July 2014 15:43:43 Alessandro Cosentino wrote:
> I am sad for the overlap too, but moving the workshop to Sunday is a
> bad idea. It's too late, there might be people who have already booked
> the return flight for Sunday. How about Friday?

That might make sense. What do you all think about doing this:
Friday workshop day.
* Morning for existing contributors/advanced stuff
* Afternoon for newbies
Saturday demo and lightning talks
* morning: we all join Freiheit statt Angst and tell people to join us if
they are interested in making the change happen rather than complain that it
doesn't ;-)
* Afternoon: a single track of lightning talks where we can share what we've
been up to

I do realize this has downsides: not everybody can be there on Friday - some
might be able to only join for for the weekend.

We could perhaps deal with this by having another track of beginners'
workshops on Sunday morning - if some of you are willing to help out/do that.
We can do this demand-based, of course. Getting new people involved is very
important, I think, so we should try to make accommodations for that!

What does everybody think?

/J

wrote:

> > On Tuesday 15 July 2014 14:39:44 Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> >> Well, there will always be overlap in some way. And people can still
> >> come on the 5 other days dedicated to hacking.
> >>
> >> Let’s look at it from the perspective that we’ll be the coding branch
> >> of »Freiheit statt Angst«. ;)
> >> Maybe we could even contact them to do some cross-promotion.
> >
> > Yeah, we should. Also we could see if we could somehow participate... We
> > could decide to move the workshops to Sunday or something, so we have
> > time on Saturday to join them and tell people they should join ownCloud
> > ;-)>

Re: ownCloud Conf & Freiheit statt Angst

Bernhard Posselt-2
What about moving the lightning talks to friday afternoon? Then Saturday
afternoon would be open for workshops.

On 07/24/2014 12:38 PM, Jos Poortvliet wrote:

> On Monday 21 July 2014 15:43:43 Alessandro Cosentino wrote:
>> I am sad for the overlap too, but moving the workshop to Sunday is a
>> bad idea. It's too late, there might be people who have already booked
>> the return flight for Sunday. How about Friday?
> That might make sense. What do you all think about doing this:
> Friday workshop day.
> * Morning for existing contributors/advanced stuff
> * Afternoon for newbies
> Saturday demo and lightning talks
> * morning: we all join Freiheit statt Angst and tell people to join us if
> they are interested in making the change happen rather than complain that it
> doesn't ;-)
> * Afternoon: a single track of lightning talks where we can share what we've
> been up to
>
> I do realize this has downsides: not everybody can be there on Friday - some
> might be able to only join for for the weekend.
>
> We could perhaps deal with this by having another track of beginners'
> workshops on Sunday morning - if some of you are willing to help out/do that.
> We can do this demand-based, of course. Getting new people involved is very
> important, I think, so we should try to make accommodations for that!
>
> What does everybody think?
>
> /J
>
>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 5:59 AM, Jos Poortvliet <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>>> Yeah, we should. Also we could see if we could somehow participate... We
>>> could decide to move the workshops to Sunday or something, so we have
>>> time on Saturday to join them and tell people they should join ownCloud
>>> ;-)>

Re: ownCloud Conf & Freiheit statt Angst

Oliver Gasser
I think it's a great idea to try to make it possible for people to go to
the demo!

The demo will take place Saturday at 14:00.
We could have lightning talks in the morning, then have some free time
for people to be able to go to the demo.

On Thursday 24 July 2014 13:06:36 Oliver Gasser wrote:
> I think it's a great idea to try to make it possible for people to go to
> the demo!
>
> The demo will take place Saturday at 14:00.
> We could have lightning talks in the morning, then have some free time
> for people to be able to go to the demo.

Oh, it is in the afternoon, I thought morning. Hmm, that's perhaps a better
fit - we don't have to change much then. The afternoon has workshops but they
might not be interesting for everybody and for those not so interested there
is either hacking or the demo. IF we have some people going there, I can
create some flyers or something to hand out. Something like 'DO instead of
TALK, come to #owncloudconf" ;-)

I realize that a LOT of people have already booked and planned and we
shouldn't change the schedule anymore - so let's just keep it as it is and if
a handful (or two) of people go to the demo, that is cool.