ownCloud, SyncML and Akunambol

Riccardo Iaconelli
Hi!

I am currently in the process of making Akunambol a plugin based application,
to enable KDE (starting from Plasma) to benefit from a syncing framework.

This would not only mean syncing stuff via SyncML, even if SyncML is certainly
a big player.

Just to start, I'd like to make a couple of usually misunderstood things
clear:

  - Akunambol is NOT a PIM application. Or at least, it is not going to be. It
is actually not even going to be (just) an application. :)
  - SyncML is a completely mimetype agnostic protocol. It could sync
everything, including stuff like files, or random binary data. It is not even
limited to mobile platforms (e.g. sync via bluetooth) - actually - Ubuntu One
is built on top of it.

With it we could do stuff like simple file syncing (ala dropbox/ubuntu one) or
more complex things, like configuration syncing, sharing data, backups of
random things (nepomuk metadata?)...

SyncML usually needs a centralized server. ownCloud seems like the best point
where we can work on this. I have talked with one of ownCloud developers one
month ago or such (can't remember the name :/), and, some time before, with
Frank too. They both seemed to think that this was a terrific idea. :)

So, what I propose would be something like:

- having a SyncML implementation on ownCloud:

  - using one of the many SyncML PHP libraries where it's the only thing we
support.
  - using funambol wherever we have a shell access (it's an awesome AGPLv3
app, unfortunately written in java). This would open up collaboration from
some funambol guys that could help us in their free time, who have already
shown much interest.

- using akunambol or any other local application that supports the SyncML
protocol to perform the actual sync. This would include allowing to sync
directly to mobile phones or other devices (via http/syncml).

Soo... what do you people think? I've tried to keep this email as short as
possible to ensure everybody could easily get to the end of it, but I think it
already reflects the immense possibilities that we have. :)

I had to schedule an IRC meeting in November to discuss this, but got a bit
caught up with school - do you think it could be worthwhile to do it now-
soonish?

Bye,
-Riccardo
On 02.12.2010, at 08:10, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am currently in the process of making Akunambol a plugin based application,
> to enable KDE (starting from Plasma) to benefit from a syncing framework.
>
> This would not only mean syncing stuff via SyncML, even if SyncML is certainly
> a big player.
>
> Just to start, I'd like to make a couple of usually misunderstood things
> clear:
>
>  - Akunambol is NOT a PIM application. Or at least, it is not going to be. It
> is actually not even going to be (just) an application. :)
>  - SyncML is a completely mimetype agnostic protocol. It could sync
> everything, including stuff like files, or random binary data. It is not even
> limited to mobile platforms (e.g. sync via bluetooth) - actually - Ubuntu One
> is built on top of it.
>
> With it we could do stuff like simple file syncing (ala dropbox/ubuntu one) or
> more complex things, like configuration syncing, sharing data, backups of
> random things (nepomuk metadata?)...
>
> SyncML usually needs a centralized server. ownCloud seems like the best point
> where we can work on this. I have talked with one of ownCloud developers one
> month ago or such (can't remember the name :/), and, some time before, with
> Frank too. They both seemed to think that this was a terrific idea. :)
>
> So, what I propose would be something like:
>
> - having a SyncML implementation on ownCloud:
>
>  - using one of the many SyncML PHP libraries where it's the only thing we
> support.
>  - using funambol wherever we have a shell access (it's an awesome AGPLv3
> app, unfortunately written in java). This would open up collaboration from
> some funambol guys that could help us in their free time, who have already
> shown much interest.
>
> - using akunambol or any other local application that supports the SyncML
> protocol to perform the actual sync. This would include allowing to sync
> directly to mobile phones or other devices (via http/syncml).
>
> Soo... what do you people think? I've tried to keep this email as short as
> possible to ensure everybody could easily get to the end of it, but I think it
> already reflects the immense possibilities that we have. :)

Hi Riccardo,

sounds like a good idea to me. I suggest to make this an ownCloud plugin

> I had to schedule an IRC meeting in November to discuss this, but got a bit
> caught up with school - do you think it could be worthwhile to do it now-
> soonish?

sure :-)

> Bye,
> -Riccardo

Frank Karlitschek

h i v e 01 gmbh
building social networks
St?ckachstrasse 16
70190 Stuttgart
Germany

web: www.hive01.com
mail: frank.karlitschek at hive01.com
mobile: +49 176 20196101
phone: +49 711  5188 2593
fax: +49 711 5188 2923
Amtsgericht: Stuttgart HRB 726532
Gesch?ftsf?hrer: Frank Karlitschek

--
Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org

On Thursday 02 December 2010 10:16:36 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> sounds like a good idea to me. I suggest to make this an ownCloud plugin

I think I agree with that, you certainly know better than I do. :)

However, I don't have much time for it, this is why I sent a mail here. I can
take care of all the local part of the syncronization, and can take care to
put you guys in contact with the right funambol guys. But, would you help me
with the server part, your expertise? :)

Bye,
-Riccardo