some notes about GSoC

Alessandro Cosentino
We have four potential ownCloud projects, each with mentor and backup-mentor.
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GSOC_ideas#ownCloud

This is great and makes me hope that maybe next year we can actually
apply as independent organization.
Please have a look at the idea lists and comment things you don't like.

There seems to be some confusion on how the process of GSoC works from
now on, so I will point out some important steps:

* During this week, each organization (in our case openSUSE) will send
a general proposal to Google based on the ideas list.
* Based on this application, Google will accept/reject the
organization and, in case of acceptance, will assign a *limited*
number of spots to each organization.

OpenSUSE will probably get funding for ~12 students (based on
statistics from previous years).

This is to say that most likely not all four projects will go through,
so at some point we will have to decide which student deserves it the
most and which projects are actually important for ownCloud. The
decision on which student proposal to accept will be taken by all
mentors in openSUSE and not just by ownCloud people, so we will also
have to convince openSUSE people that our projects are important for
them as well.

One more thing: the first step to become an independent organization
is to create a permanent page where we put GSoC ideas and Junior Jobs
all-year around. Where is the best place to do that? Should I use the
wiki page on github? If yes, of which repo? Who has r+w access to it?

Alessandro

Re: some notes about GSoC

Raghu Nayyar
Hi Alessandro,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Alessandro Cosentino <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Why don't we use the main website, ownCloud.org/dev/junior-jobs or something of that sort to display Junior Jobs or/and App Spec from GitHub, if that is possible.

I guess there is still a week's time to register as an organization. I am not sure how it works, but can't we do that this year itself?

Alessandro

Sincerely,
Raghu

Re: some notes about GSoC

Alessandro Cosentino
Hi Raghu,

We need a wiki, the owncloud website is not a wiki and very few people
have access to it.
There is *only* one week. It is not enough to become an independent
organization.

Alessandro

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Raghu Nayyar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alessandro,
>
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Alessandro Cosentino <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> We have four potential ownCloud projects, each with mentor and
>> backup-mentor.
>> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GSOC_ideas#ownCloud
>>
>> This is great and makes me hope that maybe next year we can actually
>> apply as independent organization.
>> Please have a look at the idea lists and comment things you don't like.
>>
>> There seems to be some confusion on how the process of GSoC works from
>> now on, so I will point out some important steps:
>>
>> * During this week, each organization (in our case openSUSE) will send
>> a general proposal to Google based on the ideas list.
>> * Based on this application, Google will accept/reject the
>> organization and, in case of acceptance, will assign a *limited*
>> number of spots to each organization.
>>
>> OpenSUSE will probably get funding for ~12 students (based on
>> statistics from previous years).
>>
>> This is to say that most likely not all four projects will go through,
>> so at some point we will have to decide which student deserves it the
>> most and which projects are actually important for ownCloud. The
>> decision on which student proposal to accept will be taken by all
>> mentors in openSUSE and not just by ownCloud people, so we will also
>> have to convince openSUSE people that our projects are important for
>> them as well.
>>
>> One more thing: the first step to become an independent organization
>> is to create a permanent page where we put GSoC ideas and Junior Jobs
>> all-year around. Where is the best place to do that? Should I use the
>> wiki page on github? If yes, of which repo? Who has r+w access to it?
>

> Why don't we use the main website, ownCloud.org/dev/junior-jobs or something
> of that sort to display Junior Jobs or/and App Spec from GitHub, if that is
> possible.
>
> I guess there is still a week's time to register as an organization. I am
> not sure how it works, but can't we do that this year itself?
>>

>> Alessandro

> Sincerely,
> Raghu

Re: some notes about GSoC

Jan-Christoph Borchardt-4

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Alessandro Cosentino <[hidden email]> wrote:

One more thing: the first step to become an independent organization
is to create a permanent page where we put GSoC ideas and Junior Jobs
all-year around. Where is the best place to do that? Should I use the
wiki page on github? If yes, of which repo? Who has r+w access to it?

For now we have the Junior Job tag on Github. As we should focus on core stability and quality, this is probably the link: https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues?labels=Junior+Job&page=1&state=open

It might be a bit messy though, but it helps potential contributors become familiar with Github. If you would like to use a wiki I’d say use the wiki at https://github.com/owncloud/core/wiki

Re: some notes about GSoC

Morris Jobke
Hi Allesandro,

2013/3/22 Alessandro Cosentino <[hidden email]>
We have four potential ownCloud projects, each with mentor and backup-mentor.
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:GSOC_ideas#ownCloud

for the last project (Shiva integration for ownCloud / media app replacement) there is only one mentor. Could there be another mentor in addition?

Thanks,
Morris

Re: some notes about GSoC

Thomas Tanghus
On Friday 22 March 2013 17:04 Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> For now we have the Junior Job tag on Github. As we should focus on core
> stability and quality, this is probably the link:
> https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues?labels=Junior+Job&page=1&state=open

Don't forget
https://github.com/owncloud/apps/issues?labels=Junior+Job&page=1&state=open ;)

I have only triaged a few issues as Junior Jobs yet, but several could go in
that category.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus

Translations Team

Mathias Johansson
Hi,
How long does it usually take to get accepted by the language teams?
Trying to get access to the Swedish team.

I am not a coder but i thought i would help with the translations.

Best Regards
Mathias

Re: Translations Team

Tornóci László
On 03/23/2013 05:51 PM, Mathias Johansson wrote:
> Hi,
> How long does it usually take to get accepted by the language teams?
> Trying to get access to the Swedish team.
>
> I am not a coder but i thought i would help with the translations.
>
> Best Regards
> Mathias

I've got accepted by the "owncloud_robot", in a day or two.

                                        Yours: Laszlo

Re: Translations Team

Thomas Müller
Generally speaking this depends on the language team lead.
Try to get in touch with the lead.
If that doesn't work out please get in touch with me again.

Thx & take care,

Tom

Re: Translations Team

Mathias Johansson
Just pinged the 2 coordinators, Will see if it helps.

Saw that they have several pending Swedish requests.

Have a nice evening all

//Mathias

Re: Translations Team

Mathias Johansson
Hi,

Didnt help neither HakanS or Almehdi is answering back.

//Mathias

Re: some notes about GSoC

asiriworik
Hi Alessandro,

I am a computer science and engineering undergraduate and currently in third year. I went through the 2013 project ideas in openSUSE ideas page.
I'm interested in the idea under ownCloud which is about the "Mobile app that syncs with ownCloud News app".
I have a fair knowledge about JS,CSS,HTML.The skill recommended , programing for mobile platforms is manageable.
Apart from the information given in the idea page it would help if you can give me an insight about the project and few links to follow or resources to work with.
Thanks.

Re: Translations Team

Mathias Johansson
Still no luck in getting in touch with the Swedish co-ordinations

Best Regards
Mathias

Didnt help neither HakanS or Almehdi is answering back.

//Mathias

Re: some notes about GSoC

PrathamR
Hi Alessandro,

I'm interested in the GSOC project "Mobile app that syncs with ownCloud News app" that I read about on the openSUSE ideas page.

I'm a student of third year BTech computer engineering.

As mentioned in the required skills for the project, I have experience of working on mobile platforms. The Android app Enthusia - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.almesh.enthusia#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxMiwiY29tLmFsbWVzaC5lbnRodXNpYSJd developed by me parses RSS feeds from websites to provide news updates, which is a bit similar to the app you want.

I also have knowledge of HTML, CSS, JS. I would like to know more about the project and wish to contribute to it. Could you provide some links for me to go through.

Thanks and regards